This years W4A was yet again a triumph, especially Bebo White’s ‘Geezer’ – doing William proud for this second Memorial Address!
Now, normally I pick out a few technical papers which I think pretty good, however, departing from convention I decided to summarise each paper, both technical and communication, in as near to 140 characters or two sentences as possible. In this way I hope that anyone interested will be able to quickly understand the gist of the paper and use this understanding to decide if they want to read further.
- Development And Trial Of An Educational Tool To Support The Accessibility Evaluation Process. Christopher Bailey; Elaine Pearson
Which web content accessibility checkpoints can be easily and accurately validated by novices?
- Developing Hera-ffx For Wcag 2.0. José L. Fuertes; Emmanuelle Gutiérrez; Loïc Martínez
Implementing accurate validation algorithms for Web content accessibility guidelines version 2 is more difficult than you may imagine.
- On Web Accessibility Evaluation Environment.s Nádia Fernandes; Rui Lopes; Luis Carriço
In-browser evaluation tools are the way to go for AJAX/ARIA validation and repair.
- Augment Browsing And Standard Profiling For Enhancing Web Accessibility. Silvia Mirri; Paola Salomoni; Catia Prandi
Micro personalised transcoding based on user preferences at the browser side.
- Application Of Content Adaptation In Web Accessibility For The Blind. Pauli P.Y. Lai
Audio Web browsing via a phone with indexes to content linked to an overview. Also see IBM India’s work on the spoken Web.
- An Adaptive Videos Enrichment System Based On Decision Trees For People With Sensory Disabilities. José Francisco Saray Villamizar; Benoìt Encelle; Yannick Prié; Pierre-Antoine Champin
Crowd sourcing for video subtitling.
- Estimating Dyslexia In The Web. Ricardo Baeza-Yates; Luz Rello
The words people miss-type are a proxy indicator of the number of active Web dyslexics.
- Accessibility At Early Stages: Insights From The Designer Perspective. Adriana Martín; Alejandra Cechich; Gustavo Rossi
Supporting accessibility as developers build Web artefacts.
- An Integrative Accessibility Engineering Approach Using A Multidimensional Classification Of Barriers In The Web. Diana Ruth-Janneck
Categorising the barriers to Web 2.0 accessibility may enable increased guidance to programmers.
- Accessible Icon Graphic Design In Enterprise Applications. Eric Stilan; Amy Chen; Lulit Bezuayehu
What can be conveyed in an icon and how can it be made accessible.
- Crosschecking Mwbp For Visually Impaired Persons. Luís Carriço; Rui Lopes; Rogério Bandeira
Combining accessibility and Mobile Web Best Practices for an accessible mobile
- Improving Accessibility To Mathematical Formulas: The Wikipedia Math Accessor. Leo Ferres; José Fuentes
How best to describe mathematical formulas in Spanish.
- Accessible Qti Presentation For Web-based E-learning. Nathapong Luephattanasuk; Atiwong Suchato; Proadpran Punyabukkana
Accessible e-learning in Thailand
- Wai-aria Live Regions And Html5. Peter Thiessen
Test cases to assess the integration of live regions and html5
- Ajax Time Machine. Andrew Brown; Simon Harper
Cycling back through automatically updated AJAX content is useful for both sighted and blind users
- Accessibility Approach To Adopting New Technologies. Neil King; Damien McCormack
How accessible is PDF, even with Adobe’s accessibility hooks, not that accessible.
- An Educational Tool For Generating Inaccessible Page Examples Based On Wcag 2.0 Failures. Hend Al-Khalifa; Atheer Al-Khalifa
Teaching accessibility by examples of bad practice using an auto generating example tool.
- Prediction Of Web Page Accessibility Based On Structural And Textual Features. Sina Bahram; Debadeep Sen; Robert St. Amant
Machine learning techniques to understand the accessibility of Web pages, and eventually guide transcoding.
So these are my one line summaries for each of the papers, based on my notes and not solely on the views of the authors, the presentations, or the papers.
One thought on “W4A 2011 – Trip Report [#accessibility #a11y #w4a11]”
Hi Simon, thanx for your summary of the W4A in Hyderabad. Thanx for your organisation. Thanx for your talks. CU. Greetings from germany. diana